Thursday, May 1, 2008

Real Life ER

Well, we made our first trip to the ER with Jack last night. Bryan was outside with Jack in his arms, and somehow, Jack toppled over and landed on his shoulder/neck/head on the grass. I wouldn't have worried so much, but he just wasn't moving his neck right, and would NOT stop crying. We started out at Instacare, and they immediately sent us to the ER. Once the doctor saw him, she thought the same thing as I did....that he just wasn't moving right. She ordered a cat scan. On a big person, no biggie, but on a baby.....it was a nightmare. They strapped Jack to a board in what looked like a burrito bag, with just his head and little arms showing. His head was taped down and he cried in a most pathetic way. He had the sympathy of everyone within ear-shot. They went back and forth from arm to arm and hand to hand trying to find a vein that would work for an IV. I thought shots were bad. My Dad arrived about this time, and he and Bryan administered to Jack and gave him a blessing. I think it was more calming for me than him at the moment. We went in to the scan room where they sedated Jack and at least he finally relaxed. They just barely started to take pictures when his blood oxygen dropped too much and all the medical staff rushed in. Talk about giving parents a heart attack. I think that both Bryan and I were emotional wrecks by this time. I realize now how difficult it is to see your child in pain and be helpless. I guess this parenting thing has a lot to teach us still - especially me. After the scan, the doctor came in and said that everything looked fine and we would be able to take Jack home soon. I can't even explain the relief and happiness. This little boy is truly the center of our world. While we were waiting for discharge, we were able to hold Jack again and comfort him. He actually fell soundly asleep before we even left the hospital - probably because we were WAY past bedtime by this time.

Today, he is definitely feeling better, but visibly stiff and sore. He is careful about what he does with his neck, and lets you know if you're know holding him or supporting him just right. I was very lucky that I only had to work a half day today, and spent most of the day hanging out with Jack. We are very blessed and extremely happy that things worked out the way they did. No pictures to post.....we were a bit too stressed out to think about it. We'll try for some next week when we actually get out internet hooked up. More on the house to come as well. We're getting more and more settled by the day and loving it!

7 comments:

traske.melissa said...

jen, i am glad that things are ok. i remember taking meilani into the er when she was about 3 months because of a very high fever. we are hoping to make a trip out west the end of may so it will be fun to see everyone!

Barlow Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barlow Family said...

Sorry about the last comment, I messed up on it!...
I'm so glad Jack is doing okay. Hallie called Bryan while you were in the ER and scared each of us until we were able to get an update. Hallie had a seizure at 5 weeks and I spent a day in the ER and did IV's and all that junk. So scary! I can imagine how you felt. For what it's worth, parenting is ALWAYS a learning experience...everyday for me! You're very good parents and Jack is very lucky to have you!

Kim said...

Way scary....ooh I hate the sedation thing. When Abby was 18 months we had to take her to Primary Children's to have an echocardiogram so they had to sedate her...it was the saddest and scariest thing I have ever done in my life. I'm glad he is doing well.

Parker Family said...

so glad Jack is ok. It is the hardest thing to see the little ones suffering. I hope after next week we are done with hospitals for a long time. It is no fun going there, especially for babies. Give him kisses for us!

s.s parker said...

Jack is a strong little boy!! We're so glad he's healthy and doing well. that must have been one of the worst experiences, but God was watching over you guys! he looks more like a parker everytime I see pictures!! Take care and give jack hugs and kisses!!

Pyatt said...

Jen--so scary!! I'm convinced that parenting is what AGES you not age itself!! So happy to hear he is doing okay and HE is so darn cute!! Hope all is well! Take care!