Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reflections of a Mother's Heart

I sit here in the process of having my 4th miscarriage, full of many emotions, and pondering my path as a mother. My journey into motherhood has certainly been full of ups and downs, and nothing came the easy way. In our first 13 months of marriage, we had three early losses. The first was devastating. I felt like a failure, and that my body didn't work correctly. I felt like I could have done many things differently, and could have saved that baby and all the dreams we had for it. The second was frustrating, but not nearly as devastating. The third was my first round of clomid and our first working with the fertility clinic. They were very supportive, and made the experience much easier for me, and were so optimistic for a healthy child in our future. They put us on a two month unmedicated break, and on that second month, we concieved Jackson.

Jackson is the sweetest part of this reflection. He is my life, my love, and my sweet little boy. He is my reason for everything I do. He has taught me how to be the mother I always knew I could be. Our Jackson is the most entertaining, lovable, and cute little man in the world. I know we're his parents and we are supposed to feel this way, but it's true on every count.

When Jackson was born, we knew that we wanted to add a sibling for him. Just before his first birthday, I started on clomid again. We did seven long cycles with no success, and I felt a bit helpless and just couldn't do it anymore. Our first cycle off of the medication, we found out I was pregnant. What a joy! Our little guy was going to be a big brother. With my past losses, it is difficult to get too excited, and to make too many plans. It's almost like you have to see proof, and have more verification before you can believe it's real. The early stages of pregnancy are almost like holding your breath for news in either direction. In this case, we found out on Saturday night in the ER that this little one was not growing as it should. The inevitable was going to follow soon, and we would lose this baby as well.

The roller coaster of emotion is a crazy one. I can be very clinical and factual in looking at everything. I know it's not my fault, or anything I did or didn't do. I couldn't have prevented this from happening. It's mother nature's way of taking care of a child who wasn't strong enough to make it. I also have the complete flip side of emotions, where I feel like I'm giving up dreams of this child again. It's a very scary time, where I don't know if we'll be able to have another child. I know I'm capable of carrying a healthy child, so there is a sparkle of hope. I feel like we have the support of a good doctor here who will help in every way he can. It's frustrating not to have fertility specialists near, and not have any insurance coverage even if there was.

This mother's journey is far from over. We'll continue to try to add to our family, one crazy month at a time. In the meantime, we have a strong little boy who deserves every single ounce of our love and attention. He is enough. :) He is all I could ever ask for, and is the fufillment of all my dreams. We happily leave our own desires in the Lord's hand. We know that ultimately, He is the one that determines when the "right" time is. He decides when we are ready.

I don't share my reflections out of a need for sympathy. It's more for my own clarity.....a way for me to examine my own feelings, and come to terms in my own way. These thoughts have been swirling in my mind for days, and now they have a home. It's my first step in letting go and moving forward.

7 comments:

Kim said...

I'm so sorry Jen. Unfortunately I now understand some of your pain. After having my first two kids without a single problem, I lost a baby in July. It is so heartbreaking and confusing. I'm sorry that you have had to endure it so many times. I have found ways of coping and I think I have been able to move on. But now as we get closer to trying again, I have a huge amount of fear....I don't want to go through it again...but somehow life works out better than you really could ever imagine.

Barlow Family said...

Bless your heart. I just want you to know that we're thinking of you. I KNOW you'll have another baby. The bright side is that you got pregnant! That's a huge accomplishment...and you'll get pregnant again, no doubt. I never realized the pain a miscarriage could bring until I had mine. I am truly sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

Pyatt said...

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry!! I KNOW there isn't much I can say that will make you feel better but how you said it was PERFECT...JAckson is beautiful and somehow you work through this crazy roller coaster one month at a time...our prayers are with you...

Jared & Shannon said...

Jen I'm so sorry. You never understand how it really feels to have a miscarriage until you have had one yourself and I can fully sympathize with you. With every pregnancy comes doubt and fear but you are right, sometimes its not up to us when these little ones enter our life. You have such an amazing cute little boy so just enjoy every second that you can with him. It will all work out. Love ya!

andersons said...

Love you Jen and hope everything will work out for you. Children are wonderful and Jack is lucky to have you. Aunt Maurine

traske.melissa said...

jen, motherhood is such a great calling and i am glad that little jack has such a strong and loving mother. sometime i wish that the crazy roller coaster of live was more like a nice walk through the park but then we would be able to reflected and see how much we truly are bless. love ya, melissa

Blackson family said...

Thank you so much for this specific post Jen! One that was so much needed for me. I completely understand your 'fears' and frustration. I am so sorry you are having to go through this trial in your life right now. Much prayers and thoughts are with you! Jackson is adorable! It's amazing to see how Heavenly Father has instore for us on His time rather than ours! Hang in there. Love you much - Stef